There are three approved ways to install a Boca Systems USB printer. The 26/46 model printers can operate as a USB printer, a USB HID device or USB virtual serial port (Only supported in firmware version M123 / N85 and higher.). This does not apply to all 22/42 & most 24/44 model USB printers. These older printers operate as a USB printer mode only.
- PRINTER mode operates as a printer using the FGL Printer Drivers and USB Printing Support. (Boca Systems recommended default approach). Once installed the printer can be tested using Boca Systems Customer Drivers program.
- HID mode operate as an actual HID Device using Windows drivers (USB - HID compliant device). Once installed the printer/HID can be tested using Boca Systems Customer Interfaces program.
- SERIAL mode operate as a virtual serial port. This USB port selection is currently only supported in Windows 10 or above and on the Apple computers running Yosemite or above. When this port type is selected and the USB cable is plugged into the PC a new serial port appears in the computer's device list. This serial port functions just like a hardware serial port and can be selected and used by any software supporting serial communications. Only supported in firmware version M123 / N85 and higher.
To change the USB DEVICE TYPE via the control panel, follow the steps below.
- Make sure to uninstall the current driver from your computer before changing the device type in the printer. Make sure to delete the printer driver (when in printer mode) at devices and printers or HID compliant device (when in HID mode) in the device manager.
- Depress both the MENU and CHOICES buttons while turning on the printer. Keep both buttons depressed until "FACTORY MENU" appears in the LCD window or the display starts scrolling through different topics.
- Using the MENU button scroll down to the “USB DEVICE TYPE?” topic.
- Using the CHOICES button select “PRINTER” for use with Printer drivers, “HID” to install as HID device or “SERIAL” to install as a virtual serial port.
- Once you have done this press the TEST button to confirm.
- The display should show "EXIT AND SAVE?". Press the TEST button a second time. The printer should reset itself
To change the USB DEVICE TYPE using commands via the interface.
You only need to send the command shown below once to the printer to setup the device type.
|<usbp>||PRINTER, for use with Printer drivers|
|<usbh>||HID, to install as HID device|
|<usbs>||SERIAL, to install as a virtual serial port|